About Me

My photo
Christian. (That means that I know that Jesus is Lord!) Programmer. Gamer. Weak 3D artist. Geek.

Saturday, 27 December 2008

Mirrors Edge - First Impressions

It isn't often that I decide that a game is great enough that it warrants a post on my blog.

I was initially disappointed by the Mirrors Edge demo, that I downloaded from PlayStation Network, decidedly disliking the hand-holding that the demo forced upon me, rather than giving me the option to just get into the action.

Declaring to my housemate that it was rubbish (to my shame I used worse language, I admit) - I found myself returning to it later again that night - drawn to it by it's compelling visual style.

I played the demo a good 4 or 5 times more over the coming fortnight and finally purchased it in GAME's pre-Christmas sale, deal-of-the-week at £25 using some in-store credit I was saving.

Vowing not to play the game until I completed Metal Gear Solid 4, I finally caved in today (Boxing Day) - and whilst my girlfriend slept on the sofa for the afternoon, I was running, jumping and clambering across rooftops.

I wasn't disappointed. To my glee, Mirrors Edge strikes me as a short game - I count that as a great positive, in that too many games are too long these days and I never get a chance to finish them - but in a matter of hours I'd finished the first couple of chapters of the game. (There are eight in total.)

At midnight, I sent my now shattered girlfriend to bed and told her I was returning to Mirrors Edge. It's 3am now and all I did was finish another chapter.

The rest of the time was spent trying to beat time trial scores across the rooftops. I love time trials, especially when a game records your ghosts. I find it so compelling and addictive - judging by the clock as I now head to bed, this was no exception.

It became clear to me that in order to achieve a good time in an area, I needed to execute wall runs, rolls from high jumps and heavily consider the best route.

Finding Mirrors Edge to be an excellent and rewarding game (trophy support added a little something too), I rushed upstairs (when my poor back had had enough of sitting in a wooden dining room chair, hunching my shoulders to play the game) to write this blog entry where it pleases me immensely to heavily recommend Mirrors Edge.

I love it. It's genius - and I can already tell you that once I've completed it, I'll be adding a sequel to my most-wanted list.

Fantastic. Simply fantastic.

(Impressions are based on the Playstation 3 version of Mirrors Edge. Played in SD. No patches were applied.)

No comments: