About Me

My photo
Christian. (That means that I know that Jesus is Lord!) Programmer. Gamer. Weak 3D artist. Geek.

Friday, 28 March 2008

Music Review: Counting Crows - Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings

Arthritic.

That was how I described this album to a friend last night - and whilst rushing to work this morning that was the best description I could come up with.

I've loved Counting Crows since a friend introduced them to me about ten years ago - and I've bought every record - bar their cash-in greatest hits - following their evolution as a group, growth in maturity and musical complexity.

This record however makes me consider, has Adam Duritz run out of steam?

The band's original drummer and bassist have left - I think noticing that the dream of making good, original rock music is over.

There are couple of things that really ache me about this record:
1) Musically - there's nothing new and 'good' about the style and sound of this record. A stylistic rehash of the previous album with an occasional jarring bridge of weird, faster, harder strumming and unconvincing pseudo-Spanish-knock-off riffs.

2) Lyrics? Don't make me laugh. Duritz quotes his own previous work during a few of the songs on this record - some that he's already quoted before on other albums! Has the well of originality dried up??

Perhaps I'd be more forgiving if this record had come at a better time.
If there was nothing else for me to listen to then I might have been a little more understanding and perhaps even grateful - but when compared to such great as albums as Linkin Park's 'Minutes to Midnight', Jetplane Landing's 'Backlash Cop' or Fighting With Wire's 'Man Vs. Monster', to be honest I can't justify the time wasted on listening to this record.

Limping, walking slowly, crumbling. Arthritic I feel is a good description for a record from a band who perhaps are long past their peak.

I won't be buying the next Counting Crows record - there's just too much better music to listen to.

Sorry Adam.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Sorry for the random comment, since you have NO clue who I am, and I was just blogger-browsing, but I coincidentally have to agree with you whole-heartedly. I'm usually a big fan. Note that usually is not always.

Prior to this record, I was always a fan. Tsk, tsk.

RagingAvatar said...

Hey Amy,
Thanks for stopping by!

Yeah, isn't a shame that the record isn't as great as it should've been..

I had such high hopes considering that 'Hard Candy' was such a good album.

What other music are you into?
What did you think of my review, too short?

Thanks again for your comment!
God bless,

David