About Me

My photo
Christian. (That means that I know that Jesus is Lord!) Programmer. Gamer. Weak 3D artist. Geek.

Friday, 11 January 2008

Touch! Made in Wario (DS) - Review


The other night Laura asked me why I was blowing on my DS.
I told her "To inflate this balloon - I only have three seconds to do it.."
She seemed a little perplexed but slightly interested..

And now this evening, I finished, to my satisfaction at least, 'Touch! Made in Wario' for Nintendo DS.

I bought this game originally, when I bought a 'phat' DS a few months before the DS's European release.

I loved 'Touch! Wario..' thinking it to be such a hilarious and ridiculous game - it really was an absolute joy to play.
I eventually finished it as best I could and sold it on ebay.

Like a fool..

You see, games like WarioWare (as its more commonly known in Europe) are the kind of silly mindless games that you can come back to at any time at all. It doesn't matter that you've finished it - it's that the game is just fun, pure unadulterated fun.

Wario Ware is a serious of about 200 mini-games that each last about 3/4 seconds each. I presume in the European version that you're given some kind of a clue of what to do and you have a very short amount of time to figure out what to do and actually do it.

The fact that I played the Japanese version and therefore had no clue as to what to do - I see that as a bonus! It's the lack of information, the frantic worry and investigation forced upon the player that really does make me love this game all the more!

It was remembering this fact that meant that when I saw this game second-hand, the Japanese edition, on a recent trip to London I couldn't resist buying it.

All in all, I heartily recommend this game to any casual player or hardcore gamer. It's just brilliant.

The music is catchy and enjoyable, the graphics hilarious and detailed - well, as detailed as they need to be, the art style lends itself to the game, it somehow matches it's play-style beautifully.

My only annoyance is that some of the mini-games require you to blow on the microphone - which isn't really ideal when you're playing in a public place - but the Wario-team get bonus kudos for being thoughtful and at least bundling most of these mini-games into a particular section.

200 mini-games plus the unlockable 'arcade' games = a great bargain of a package.

If you own a DS, buy WarioWare now. It's genius. Seriously, it is. Buy it.

No comments: